On call, Part Time, 0–15hrs/wk w/ Retainer
Application Due Date: January 8, 2021
Wage Commensurate with Experience: $25–32/hr ($500–640/mo retainer)
Full Job Posting: PDF
221A is seeking applications from eligible candidates for the role of Technician to support the organization’s Services and Programs. 221A is a not-for-profit cultural organization that commissions research, public art and educational programs and manages over 80 artist studios across four properties in the area known as Vancouver. The Technician will work closely with staff and subcontractors on a variety of projects on an as-needed basis.
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; and
- be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Experience: 5+ years of related work experience in carpentry, facility maintenance and/or construction. Carpentry/trade certifications are an asset. Experience in the arts and culture sector or broader non-profit sector is an asset.
- Specific Capacities: Carpentry, hand and power tools experience; ability to comprehend and work from design/ architectural/ engineering/ construction drawings, safety equipment and material handling training; a class 5 driver’s license; ability to lift 15kg; excellent time management skills; proven ability to learn and work collaboratively on a small team (3–10 people); proficiency with email, text messaging, taking and sending photos, and office telecommunications tools such as Slack; proficiency with Mac OS / Windows OS and word processing and spreadsheet software; and ability to work in CAD programs is considered an asset.
- Language: English proficiency. Cantonese or other second language fluency is considered an asset.
Working Hours & Scheduling
Typical work hours are for periods of 4–8 hours between 8am and 6pm on weekdays as mutually agreed upon between the employee and the employer. Best efforts will be made to provide reasonable notice to the employee for scheduling purposes.
The Technician will be paid a minimum retainer (approximately $500–640, minus source deductions) representative of a base number of 20 hours on a monthly basis. The retainer will be paid to the employee even if work hours are below 20 hours for the month.
The Technician will frequently work across different facilities as-needed, working collaboratively with staff and contractors. The Technician is exposed to noise and regular flow of people from the office and facility environment and interactions with public participants; and is assigned tasks and deliverables, as determined by changing priorities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Services (80%) – completing facility safety and maintenance tasks; completing clean-out/prep; installation, renovations and fabrication tasks; facilitating and reviewing contractor labour, supporting and responding to after-hours facility issues.
- Programs (10%) – supporting maintenance of programming sites and facilities, fabrication and installation of artworks, furnishings and components, site signage, etc.
- Administrative Duties (10%) – completing in-house document review, office on-site technical support, site storage and moving, and preparation/planning tasks as determined by the HoFP.
221A is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental ability or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, 221A has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of the following designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: Black, Indigenous and racialized people, people living with disabilities, and women, queer, trans and non-binary persons
- Black, Indigenous and racialized people are encouraged to apply
- People living with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Women, queer, trans and non-binary people are encouraged to apply
Send your cover letter and CV/resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, January 8, 2021. Unfortunately only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please use the following “[Full Name], Application for Technician” in the Subject Line.