Notice is hereby given, pursuant to the Society Act of British Columbia, that the 2019 Annual General Meeting of the Society is set to take place on Saturday, July 13 at 2:30pm at Pollyanna 圖書館 Library, (100-221 E Georgia St, Vancouver V6A 1Z6) for the following purposes:
- Approval of the 2018 AGM Minutes
- Report from the President
- Report from the Executive Director
- Presentation of the Audited Financial Statements
- Appointment of the Auditor
- Election of the Directors
- Resolution to restrict the number of Directors
- Revisions to Bylaws – Special Resolution Notice Below
All members in good standing are invited to attend the Annual General Meeting. Registration will open at 2:10pm and light refreshments will be served.
Notice of Special Resolution
The transition to a new BC Societies Act in 2018 led to a review of the society’s bylaws. This special resolution proposes three substantive changes to the bylaws:
- The authority to set annual membership dues is delegated to the board of directors, for administrative efficiency. Dues are set at a nominal level.
- The range of dates for an annual general meeting is set to be consistent with the Societies Act.
- The terms of office for directors are extended from one year to three years, with one third of the seats to turnover each year.
A special resolution under the Societies Act requires a ⅔ majority approval.
WHEREAS longer terms of office with staggered three-year terms to a maximum of nine-years for directors will increase the stability, continuity and renewal of the board of directors;
AND WHEREAS it is reasonable for the directors to set the annual membership dues;
AND WHEREAS the readability of the bylaws can be enhanced by removing extraneous words;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Bylaws of the Society are amended as follows:
- Bylaw 6(2) be deleted and replaced with the text, “6(2) The amount of the annual membership dues are determined by the directors of the society.”
- Bylaw 14(3) be deleted and replaced with the text. “14(3) An annual general meeting must be held at least once in every calendar year as determined by the directors.”
- Bylaw 26 be deleted and replaced with the text,
- “26(1) The directors shall be elected for a three-year term of office, unless the director is filling an unexpired term as set in bylaw 26(2). A full three-year term shall be considered to have been served upon the completion of three annual general meetings following the meeting at which the election is held. A director must retire from office at the close of the annual general meeting at which their successor is elected.
- (2) The directors shall serve for staggered terms of office such that approximately 1/3 of the board of directors shall be elected each year. The directors may by resolution divide the directors into three classes with differing terms, with each class as nearly equal in number as possible. When the number of directors is changed, the directors may by resolution reassign directors among the classes so as to make all classes as nearly equal as possible, and accordingly the term of any new directorship may, if necessary, be shorter than three years. The directors may not extend an individual director’s term beyond three years.
- (3) An election may be by acclamation; otherwise it must be by ballot.
- (4) If a successor is not elected, the role is considered to be vacant.
- (5) A director may seek re-election so long as they serve no more than a total of nine years, up to the end of the annual general meeting at which the election is to be held.”
- And, all references to “Schedule B” are deleted from the bylaws.
Members who are not in good standing are kindly asked to complete and return the membership application/renewal form.